Tuesday, July 5, 2011

When Kindness Passes Through

Isn't it wonderful how one kind word, one nice gesture, one selfless act can warm the heart and encourage the soul?  Today I had one of those moments when I met with such a kindness and it meant so much to me.  

I live in the quaint and beautiful seaside village of La Conner, WA, where, by day, I manage one of our family art galleries, and by night and weekend, I scout out vintage wares, photograph them, and then upload them to my vintage shabby home accessories and decor shop Dovetail Vintage (www.dovetailvintage.etsy.com). After three years of living and working in La Conner, it's time for a change, mainly because the largely retirement area is not the best fit for a twenty-something girl looking for friends . . . or a husband, eventually.  So, currently, I am in the process of moving to the equally beautiful Coeur d'Alene, ID situated on Lake Coeur d'Alene, just minutes from the Washington/Idaho border.  Some might say it's not really official because I'm at the earliest stages of moving.  Why, I don't even have a job or a place to live yet (those things are in the works, though).  However, I know I'm moving to CDA (Coeur d'Alene).  I've even started packing.  I know because after visiting, this city with a warm, and welcoming small-town feel has already started to win my heart through its people, even without living there yet. 

During our visit about a month ago, my mom and I, while scouting out vintage goodies at a local thrift shop, met two lovely middle-aged mothers who are also Etsy vintage sellers.  A couple of days later, they both contacted me through my Etsy shop, expressing how nice it was to connect, wishing me the best of luck, and even suggesting I meet up with them if I chose to make the move to CDA.  I, being insanely busy once I arrived home and all through the month of June, didn't respond until today.  I happily shared with them that I am joyfully preparing to relocate to Coeur d'Alene in the next month or so and thanked them for their kind words.  But it was the simple gesture in the response from one of the ladies, that I received almost immediately, that encouraged my heart and got me excited once again to make this move.  It was the simple gesture put out that if there was anything that I needed help with along the way as I moved, to please let her know. Simple, said in just one sentence, but encouraging to the core.  After searching for, praying about, and finally making the decision to move to this new place, this kind gesture made all the difference today as I moved one step further in this journey, and for it, I am so grateful.  Thank you new friend. 

Have you had a kindness shown?

Pass it on;
'Twas not given for thee alone,
Pass it on;
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another's tears,
'Til in Heaven the deed appears -
Pass it on.
~Henry Burton, Pass It On

No comments:

Post a Comment