Thursday, October 27, 2011

Old Chairs, New Life

This last Sunday I sat on the floor of my breakfast nook with the afternoon sun spilling through the open window and feeling as pleased as punch!  I was doing my first upholstery job, and it was surprisingly easy, super fun, and turning out just how I wanted!

My mom brought me these antique chairs after coming across them for free on the side of the road.  Knowing that I could use a couple chairs, if nothing else, at least for temporary, until I found others I wanted more, she trucked these 6 hours from western Washington.  They had worn maroon velvety fabric and light scratches on the wood, but I really liked the dark color and their shape.  I decided they would be great in my breakfast nook.

So, with a hammer, staple gun, and my selected fabric, I set to work, and I am so pleased with how they turned out.  Here they are!



This light floral fabric was under the maroon fabric.  I decided to leave it on and cover it, giving the seats a little extra thickness.








I found this beautiful upholstery fabric at JoAnn's Fabric on sale for 50% off.  I bought 24", enough to cover both chairs, and it cost me $10.


This colorful, bold fabric now acts as the focal point of my black and white breakfast nook.

This project is so easy.  I simply bought my desired fabric, pulled out the upholstery nails that held down the previous fabric, and wrapped the new fabric around the existing form, securing it with staples from a staple gun.

Do you have some old chairs that need a little fixing up?  Try updating them with some new fabric, like I did.  It's so easy, I know you can do it!  And the result is entirely gratifying.

Happy Thursday . . . tomorrow is Friday!

~Callie


1 comment: